Saturday, October 4, 2008

Stop 3 - Camp Anaconda, Balad Iraq



So like I mentioned yesterday we left Camp Victory at 11:45 on Saturday on a C-130 Military Transport (see below) . This was the flight from hell... The pilot flew this thing like it was a fighter jet and Im sure you can tell by the pic that it was not a fighter jet. He was tossing us all over the place and everyone pretty much knows how I am with motion sickness but thanks to Auntie Erins Bonine I was able to barely... and I mean barely keep my lunch down.



The next pic is of me all geared up in my vest and helmet before the flight took off... notice I have color in my cause when I landed I was pale as a ghost. You should have seen the guy across from me he was so nervous I was gonna barf all over him and honestly so was I because I didnt think I was gonna make it to ground but they opened the rear hatch just in time and I got some fresh and calmed down a little.

We arrived at our destination, Camp Anaconda around 5:30 after a couple of stop along the way. Im taking a rough guess but the tac mark in the pic below is where I believe we are on the base. The place is huge. There are 70,000 people stationed here, mostly army and navy and almost 10,000 third country nationals. It is like a city, they have 2 Pizza Huts, 2 Mcdonalds, 2 Subways, a movie theater, a church, a fire station, an olymipc size swimming pool, you name it they got it. (See Below , the scale kind sucks but you can tell by the airstrip just how big of a Camp we are talking about here)




It is dark now so I cant really get any good shots of Camp but I will upload some more of those tomorrow. Till then.....








No comments: